This week, we're getting to know our very own Pastor Matt a little better! Despite hearing him teach each weekend, there is still a treasure trove of fun facts you may not know! Here we go:
1. Tell us about yourself! Heather and I have been married for 28 years and have two amazing daughters and sons-in law. We also have three grandchildren with one on the way. Laura, Andrew, Wynona, Levi, and a boy on the way live in Canada. Abi, Ryan and Isla live in Fort Worth. We are extremely grateful that all of our kids are serving the Lord and have amazing ministries. That is a huge blessing to have our kids following and serving Jesus! I was called to ministry after spending time in the corporate world. When I received that call, I went to Southwester Assemblies of God University to get my biblical education. I worked on staff at a non-denominational church before Heather and I planted the Creek in 2010. The Creek started with 29 people in a daycare and it has been an amazing journey to see God write a story I could never have imagined!
2. What is a fun fact about yourself that people may not know? I am having a hard time answering this because I share so much of my life with the church. People may not know that I played the bass guitar in the past and played in a band with my brother. We recorded songs and played gigs. Sometimes I secretly sneak onto the worship team for service!
3. If you could only eat one meal for the rest of your life, what would it be? Anything Heather makes as long as it is not eggplant, raisins, or kale! She is an amazing chef but I won’t eat that!
4. What made you passionate about ministry? Why do you love it? I was raised in church and walked away. I knew how to play the game with religion. What makes me passionate is seeing people encounter relationship over religion. I love the realness of my relationship with Jesus and want others to experience the same thing!
5. Tell us a little bit about the heart behind what you do each week at The Creek. I am driving to see people fully engage with God. That is where our “set ins” come from. I want to see people saved, connected, free and engaging in the purpose God has for them.
6. What is your favorite hobby outside of work? I love the outdoors. I love camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, anything to be outside. My favorite hobby outside of work is called “Overlanding”. It is vehicle based camping/exploring. It’s all about taking your vehicle to amazing locations to camp and eat! I love working on my 4Runner (named Margot) to make it more capable and comfortable when I am out on an adventure. My dream is to drive from Texas to Alaska and end at the Arctic Ocean. One day!
We are truly SO grateful for Pastor Matt and his heart for the Lord and for The Creek!
4901 N. Main Street | Fort Worth, TX 76179